Thursday, July 23, 2009

Abigail's first sewing project-with help from Mommy

Today was Abigail's turn to get a new skirt. The butterfly fabric was in my massive stash of fabric and she had a few pattern options to choose from. We made this skirt using Simplicity pattern 2576, this pattern is designed to help teach kids to sew so it was a great chioce! I explained to her what I was doing and why as I iorned the fabric and the pattern and showed her how to lay the pattern out on the fabric and why you need to pin it in place before you cut. Then I cut it out while she watched. I showed her how to thread the sewing machine and then I let her sew the side seams of the skirt while I guided the fabric through the machine. Next I explained about making a casing for the elastic waistband and why you do that.....at this point she lost interest....lol!!! I finished it out and iorned it for her and she is now wearing her brand new skirt!!! I got the greatest reward of all....a VERY LONG HUG and a "Thank you Mommy!"

2 comments:

  1. She already knows more about sewing than I do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun to get your comment on my blog today! How in the heck are you guys? Where are you? What are you up to? We are still in residency, for crying out loud! 2 more years to go! Anyway, please keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete